Wide-format printers are necessary for businesses that offer large scale printing.
These printers are capable of coping with huge demands where normal size based printers are not capable; more so, for businesses that print banners, posters, wallpapers, architectural drawings, back drops or construction plans among others.
Here we will looks at the best wide format printers that you can get.
Wide-format printers are built for graphics and in commercial based printing, lack of wide-format printers can lead to turning down customers thus having a huge impact on business earnings..
Wide-format printers are designed to be convenient, fast and without compromising on quality and as thus, we have selected 5 of the best wide-format printers.
If you are looking for the polar opposite, i.e small printers read this.
List of Best Wide Format Printers
We have selected the following as the best candidates for wide format printing.
- HP DesignJet T120 24″ – Modestly priced and well suited for architects and engineers
- HP DesignJet Z9+ 44″ – With HP Thermal Inkjet; 9 ink system
- Canon imagePROGRAF iPF670 24″ – With an optimized module for AutoCAD
- HP T520 Design Jet Wireless – Delivers print quality that is long lasting
- Canon imagePROGRAF iPF785 Wide-Format Color Printer – Delivers a resolution of up to 2400 X 1200 dpi
If you are into the business of crafting arts, you may also be interested in the best printers for stickers.
You can also check out best printers of CD DVD Printing to complete your business studio.
1. HP DesignJet T120 24″ Wide Format Printer – Modestly priced and well suited for architects and engineers
The HP DesignJet T120 printer is a wide-format color printer that is easy to use and is capable of printing photos or diagrams up to 24 inches wide.
It comes with its own stand or can as well be placed on a table.
HP DesignJet T120 measures 11.2 X 38.9 X 20.9 inches. It comes equipped with 4 ink tanks (magenta, cyan, yellow and black)
The HP DesignJet T120 delivers fast and paramount printing at a resolution of 1200 X 1200 dpi. It is capable of printing 40 A1 prints per hour. Colors appear bright and the HP DesignJet T120 excels even more in text prints.
The HP DesignJet T120 comes with wireless connectivity and can print from tablets and smartphones (iOS and Android) it supports cloud based printing such as AirPrint from Apple and HP Designjet ePrint. Other connections include Ethernet and USB.
The HP DesignJet T120 can print from cut sheets, rolls or ADF. It also comes with a responsive 4.3 inch color touch screen.
Cons: While the HP DesignJet T120 prints magnificent texts, it at times has color issues with photos even though not so noticeable.
HP DesignJet T120 is modestly priced and well suited for architects and engineers.
2. HP DesignJet Z9+ 44″ – Wide Format Postscript Printer – With HP Thermal Inkjet; 9 ink system
This printer measures 71 x 27.4 x 39.3 inches and weighs 207 pounds.
The HP DesignJet Z9+ 44″ is designed to perform printing tasks 2.5 times faster than most printers in its class without compromising on quality.
Thanks to HP pixel technology, the HP DesignJet Z9+ 44″ will deliver quality graphics and sharp colors that will astound even the most demanding customers.
The HP DesignJet Z9+ 44″ is capable of printing at a resolution of 2400 by 2400 optimized dpi. Thanks to HP Thermal Inkjet; 9 ink system (yellow, matte black, cyan, chromatic red, photo black, gray, green and chromatic blue) print quality is excellent.
The HP DesignJet Z9+ 44″ allow printing through mobile apps such as HP Smart APP for both iOS and Android as well as cloud based services such as ePrint from HP.
Other connections include Ethernet and Hi Speed USB 2.0 that allows for direct printing through USB flash drive.
The HP DesignJet Z9+ 44″ comes with a hard disk storage of 500 GB as well as virtual memory of 128 GB. Additionally, it comes with a security feature from HP that will only work with genuine HP cartridges and will reject counterfeits ensuring little to no loss of quality.
3. Canon imagePROGRAF iPF670 24″ – With an Optimized Module for AutoCAD
The Canon imagePROGRAF iPF670 measures 43 X 36 X 32 inches and weighs 185 pounds.
It uses high density print head that allows it to print resolution of 2400 X 1200 dpi for documents that are 24 inches wide and 59 inches long.
It takes 28 seconds to print an A1 thanks to Canon’s Wide Format Printer Common Architecture controller.
The Canon imagePROGRAF iPF670 uses 5 color dye (cyan, magenta, black and yellow) or pigment ink (matte black) which ensures accuracy of color as well as creating long lasting prints. It also has a feature that economizes use of ink thus reducing costs.
The Canon imagePROGRAF iPF670 comes with a mobile app (imagePROGRAF Print Utility) from Canon that allows printing from smartphones and tablets that support Android and iOS.
Other connections include Ethernet and cloud based printing for PCs (Windows and MacOS and OS X) as well as a high speed USB 2.0 port for printing directly from a flash drive.
It has a memory capacity of 256 MB and to ensure efficiency, the Canon imagePROGRAF iPF670 comes with an optimized module for AutoCAD, Microsoft Office plugin and status monitors softwares.
The Canon imagePROGRAF iPF670 is an affordable printer that is suitable for personal or businesses use that require standard volume CAD.
4. HP T520 Design Jet Wireless – Delivers Print Wuality that is Long Lasting
The HP T520 Design Jet E-Printer measures 36.7 X 38.9 inches and weighs 74.96 pounds.
It produces extreme quality color images as well as text thanks to the use of Thermal Inkjet which prints at a resolution of 2400 X 1200 dpi.
It has a printing speed of up to 35 seconds per page or 70 prints per hour for documents that are 24 inches and supports both sheet and roll media.
The HP T520 Design Jet E-Printer delivers print quality that is long lasting thanks to the printhead that is compatible with dye-based ink (Magenta, Yellow, Cyan) and pigment-based inks (black)
The HP T520 Design Jet E-Printer is reliable and comes with ease of use thanks to the responsive touch screen color display. It also features a paper tray, manual feed, media cutter, roll feed and media bin.
It has Wi-Fi connectivity which enables smart devices direct printing using HP Print Service. Cloud based printing such as Apple’s AirPrint and HP’s ePrint are supported .Other connections include Ethernet and high speed USB 2.0.
The HP T520 Design Jet E-Printer comes with 1 GB memory and supports Windows, MacOS / OS X operating systems.
5. Canon imagePROGRAF iPF785 – Delivers a Resolution of Up To 2400 X 1200 DPI
The Canon imagePROGRAF printer measures 51.34 x 34.53 x 41.81 inches and weighs 150 pounds.
This printer produces fine detailed prints delivering a resolution of up to 2400 X 1200 dpi for documents that are 36 inches wide and 59 inches long thanks to the use of High-Density Print Head.
The Canon imagePROGRAF comes with Canon’s Wide Format Printer Common Architecture controller which enhances speed of operations and with a feature for ink saving. It also ensures that no ink is left in the cartridge before requiring replacement.
The Canon imagePROGRAF iPF785 uses 5 color dye ink (cyan, magenta, black and yellow) or pigment ink (matte black) which ensures accuracy of color as well as creating long lasting prints.
For easy use, the Canon imagePROGRAF iPF785 features a 19.5 inch (49.5 cm) Color Touchscreen LCD that acts as the main control panel.
The Canon imagePROGRAF iPF785 allows printing from smartphones and tablets that support Android and iOS thanks to a mobile app (imagePROGRAF Print Utility) from Canon.
Other connections include Ethernet and cloud based printing for PCs (Windows and MacOS and OS X) and a high speed USB 2.0 port for printing directly from a USB Drive.
It has a memory capacity of 32 GB and a Hard Disk of 320 GB. Also, to ensure efficiency, the Canon imagePROGRAF iPF7850 comes with an optimized module for AutoCAD, status monitors and Microsoft Office plugin that is capable of resizing documents in letter size to poster size.
Paper handling support for the Canon imagePROGRAF iPF785 includes Media Cutter, Roll Feed as well as Manual Feed.
Just as the Canon imagePROGRAF iPF785 is a top of the range wide-format printer that is suitable for personal or businesses that require standard volume CAD.
If you want widest possible printer, then this is one of the the best wide format printers.
What Are the Differences Between Wide-Format Printers and Normal Printers?
Wide-format printers are very different from normal printers in many ways.
- Expensive: There is no doubt that the best wide format printers are extremely expensive and consume a lot of electricity. Their inks also cost more.
- Quality printing: Wide-format printers come with droplet technology system which produces high end graphics especially in photographic content or simple images like company logos. Prints produced are clear, neat and professionally looking which is the main goal.
- Vibrant colors: Banners, wallpapers or posters are delicate and need to appear as stunning as possible, being easily able to attract the required attention. Bearing this in mind, these printers are designed to achieve this thanks to the use of current technology in color.
- Speed: This is key in any printing business, slow printing speeds will mean little earnings. Wide-format printers use four print heads and bi-directional printing control which result in incredible speeds leading to more business.
- Clarity in texts: This is where the best wide format printers shine. Due to the use of advanced technology, wide-format printers are able to capture and distinguish graphics from texts. No matter the size of font used, you are guaranteed that it will be easily readable and at the same time look professional.
- Convenience – As opposed to normal printers, wide-format printers use screen printing technology which is convenient and hassle free. Fewer printing mistakes are made hence a lot of time is saved while maintaining high quality.
- Save printing costs – Wide-format printers are efficient when it comes to resource usage. Lack of this printer will mean outsourcing printing work which with time could be costly and time wasting.
- Wide format printing – As the name suggests, wide-format printers can print on boards or sheets up to 126.5 inches wide and up to 2 inches thick unlike normal printers with limited printing sizes.
The above selected wide-format printers are very reliable and will deliver astounding quality of print in remarkable time leading to increased output.