HP is one of the most popular printer brands. In fact, the first HP was first introduced in 1984, and since then, the company has been manufacturing high-quality, if not the best, printers in the world.
However, like many devices, it's susceptible to issues that often require a little troubleshooting, where you'll need to reset it to factory settings. For non-technical users, this can be a daunting task. But don't worry, we're here to help you out!
In this article, we will guide you on how to reset HP printer, how you can change the admin password, and why printers need to be reset in their default factory settings.
Page Contents (Click Icon To Open/Close)
How To Factory Reset HP Printers (Explained For Different Models)
Reminder: Factory resetting your HP printer will not reset the language, tray size, and page count. All this does is restore the default factory settings of your device.
Many HP printers are available, each with different ways to reset it. Below is the most common method of restoring the manufacturer's setting:
- 1If your HP printer is on, turn it off by disconnecting the power cable from the device. Wait for 30 seconds before you reconnect the cable.
- 2Next, press and hold the Resume button for 10-20 seconds. This will turn on the device and the Attention light.
- 3Once the Device and Attention light are on, release the resume button. Both the Attention and Ready lights will cycle while the device is restoring the factory default settings. After that, your machine is ready to go.
This is the most common way to reset an HP printer. However, other models have a different method for restoring the factory settings. We have listed below the most popular HP printers and how you can reset them to the default factory settings.
HP DeskJet 2620
- 1Turn on the device and make sure the printer is ready to print before you begin to reset it.
- 2Next, press and hold the Cancel button and Wi-Fi key for at least 3 seconds.
- 3Once the power button starts blinking, release both buttons and wait for the reset to finish. Your device is now ready.
HP Envy 600
- 1If you have any printing orders or have been using the printer for a while, open the ink cartridge door. This will command the printer to pause whatever it is doing.
- 2Next, press and hold the Power and Wireless Internet button for at least 5 seconds while the cartridge door is open. This will send a signal to the device to reset and restore the original manufacturer's setting.
HP 8715 Printer, HP Officejet Pro 6968, and HP Deskjet 5820
- 1On your printer's display panel, go to Setup.
- 2Then, scroll down and press Printer Maintenance. If you can't find the Printer Maintenance option, press Tools instead.
- 3Next, press Restore and select Yes. This will restart the printer.
- 4Once the device is restarted, the settings are restored to the default factory settings.
Pro tip: Before doing a factory reset, write down the current settings of your printer so you can quickly put the settings back to your previous settings if you need to.
Why Do HP Printers Need To Be Reset? (Common Reasons)
No device is perfect; it can only be improved. The same goes for HP printers. As technology advances, the problems that arise in this printer are different every time. While there are several troubleshooting steps that you can take to fix them, you can only do so much.
Sometimes, when you've exhausted all your options, the last resort (and probably the only way) to fix the issues is doing a factory reset. But why is it usually the case?
Well, restoring your device's default factory settings removes all the modifications you made to the machine that might have caused the issue you're experiencing. Whether there's a light blinking, an error message, or a problem that can pinpoint, a factory reset can bring back your device's original state.
Of course, it's not always the fix as some problems can be caused by physical damage or other things. But by resetting it, it allows you to understand whether or not the system may be causing the issue or not.
If it works again, then it might be a setting or system issue. However, if it's still not fixed after the reset, you might be looking at a more significant problem.
Can You Reset HP Printer Without A Screen? (How-To)
If your HP printer's screen is broken or the model you have doesn't have this kind of feature, there are still ways for you to reset it, even if it doesn't have a dedicated reset button. Here are some:
Press and hold the Power button for at least four seconds. Then, unplug the cord and wait 30 seconds before plugging it in. Lastly, press and hold the Power button again to complete the reset.
Note: This is more of a hard reset than a factory reset, but it can still fix some issues.
Another way to reset without a screen is by pressing the Resume button. First, unplug the printer and wait 30 seconds before plugging it in. Then, press and hold the Resume button for at least 15 seconds and wait for the Attention and Ready light to turn on. Lastly, release the button and wait for the cycle to finish, and your printer is set.
Resetting The Admin Password Of An HP Printer
There are three ways to reset the admin password of your HP printer. All these methods work on every device, so you just have to choose which one works better.
Through the HP Smart App
- 1Turn on your printer.
- 2Then, press and hold the Cancel and Wi-Fi button to turn on the Setup mode of your HP printer.
- 3Next, download the HP Smart app on your Apple or Android phone if you don't have it yet. Otherwise, skip this step.
- 4Open the HP Smart app and select Printer Setup from the option.
- 5On the Printer Setup menu, scroll to the bottom and select Advanced Settings.
- 6Then, choose Settings and Security.
- 7From the drop-down menu, select Password Settings. This will prompt you to type a new password for your printer.
Through the HP Printer
If you have an HP printer with a screen, you can reset your password using the device itself. Here's how:
Through Your Windows Computer
If your printer is connected to your Windows device, you can change your password there.
Resetting HP Printer FAQs
Do you have to re-install the HP printer after factory reset?
A factory reset will restore your HP printer to its original setting when it first came out of the box. So yes, you will need to reinstall it to your computer.
How do you reset an HP printer after ink refills?
If you just need to reset the ink cartridge, all you have to do is press the Power button for 10 seconds. If you need to restore it to the default factory settings, do the steps mentioned above.
What is a cold reset for an HP printer?
A cold reset is the same as a factory reset, which puts the HP printer back to its original settings.
Now that you know how to reset an HP printer, you don't need to worry about any system issues that you may encounter in the future. Just remember to write down your current settings before resetting them so you won't have to waste your time figuring it out.
Andrew White is the founder of TechGearoid, a leading technology review & information website that is designed to help consumers make better decisions when it comes to their IT purchases. As a specialist tech writer (nerd) with over 10 years of experience, he enjoys writing about everything there is to do with modern technology & the newest market innovations. When he isn’t providing value for his readers, he’s usually drinking coffee or at the beach. Andrew lives in Sydney, Australia with his wife and family.